1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Coat the outside and the inside of the chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Take one of the heads of garlic and separate the cloves then peel them but leaving the last skin on. Cut the other heads of garlic in half horizontally.
3. Put half the thyme and rosemary inside the chicken and the rest in a baking dish. Add the oil, salt and pepper and the garlic cloves. Roll the chicken in the seasoned oil. Place the half heads of garlic in the dish, cut side down.
4. Place baking dish in the oven and leave to cook for 1 hour 40 minutes; after 50 minutes turn the garlic heads and cloves.
5. Pour off the juice into a small saucepan, skim the fat off the surface and reduce for a few minutes on a high heat.
6. Serve the chicken hot with slices of toasted bread spread with the baked garlic cloves. The garlic from the whole heads will be crunchier.
Serves 4 | Preparation time: 15 min. | Cooking time: 1h45
1 x 1.5 kg chicken
3 heads of green garlic
3 stalks fresh thyme
3 stalks fresh rosemary
4 soup spoons of black fruity olive oil
Salt, crushed pepper
L’Or de la Provence
éditions du Chêne, auteurs Elisabeth Scotto et Olivier Baussan - Photographe Edouard Sicot
Discover the Provence Olive Oils
with Première Pression Provence