Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 2 free-range rabbit saddles
- 200 g Picholines olives (black or Niçoise olives)
- 8 baby purple artichokes
- a few stalks of fresh thyme
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 shallot
- olive oil
- salt, pepper
- Bone the rabbit saddles by carefully removing the spine and rib bones, and separate the two halves.
- Pit the olives and chop finely.
- Spread out the belly flaps, rub with the inside of a crushed garlic clove then cover with the chopped olives and a few thyme leaves, season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Wrap the saddles taking care to cover the olives in order to make a cylinder, and tightly wrap with aluminum foil. Cook for 20 minutes - either steam or boil in 90°C water, and leave to cool. Then remove the foil and finely slice just before serving.
- Prepare the artichokes, (30 minutes):
- With a sharp knife, remove the leaves, keeping just the heart and the stem (3cm).
- Remove also the choke (inedible fuzzy part).
- Put some olive oil in a pan, and then fry the artichokes, the finely sliced shallot, the crushed olive cloves and the thyme branches.
- Add the chicken stock, cover and leave to simmer until soft.
Provence Recipe : Saddle of Rabbit Stuffed with Olives and Baby Purple Artichokes Flavored with Thyme by chef Ludovic Aillaud
Saddle of Rabbit Stuffed with Olives and Baby Purple Artichokes Flavored with Thyme
Photographie : José Nicolas